I went to a job interview last week and things did not go as I expected. At the end of the interview, the boss asked what I wanted for compensation. I replied:
- First, I expect at least 25% commission on everything I sell, with bonuses and increased commissions for meeting certain sales goals.
- I expect you to provide me with the very best website and training.
- I want the ability to earn all-expense paid trips for a job well done. I don’t just want time off for vacation, I want you to pay for the vacation itself!
- I don’t like dealing with inventory, so I would expect you to handle direct shipments for all sales that I make.
- I would also like the opportunity to purchase my own products at a great discount.
- When I bring in and train any new team members, I deserve to be compensated plus earn a percentage of their sales & the sales of the people they bring in.
- I would like the opportunity to rapidly advance within the company.
- When I do well, I expect LOTS of praise and recognition, gifts, & bonuses!!
- I would like my friends and family to work here.
- Oh, and I need to set my own schedule & work only when it suits me and my family.
When I finished, I looked at him expectantly, extended my hand, and said, “So… when can I start?”
After the owner recovered from shock, he ROARED with laughter, “You can’t be serious!?! You’re dreaming! You’ll never find an opportunity like that ANYWHERE! And if you do… come back and get me because I want to work with you!”
So I gave him my business card and said, “When do you want to start?”